After reaching a Flutterpedia Score of 1,225, from time to time you'll have the chance to catch up past event moths, which will appear for an hour in your forest. Whenever a Special Visitor comes around, you'll get a notification via banner, and a at the top left corner of the screen, which also shows the remaining time., and encased in a special glow. They also differ from your moths in their banner, which is fancier.
The offer to purchase a Special Visitor – for the twice of the normal egg lay cost – is available for one hour before time runs out and the moth leaves the forest. A countdown timer can be seen beneath the icon, and also on the Special Visitor's details page, which shows up by first tapping the moth and then the details icon .Rarity, Size, and Set.
If you decide to keep the Special Visitor in your forest, you need to tap on the details page. The moth will leave immediately after depositing its egg on the nearest empty spot. The egg will be ready to hatch right after, without need for incubating.
The wait time for a new Special Visitor depends on whether or not the last visitor was or was not purchased. If purchased, a new Special Visitor should appear in one day, if you let it pass, you'll have to wait four days.
- Runaway has stated that a Special Visitor will not appear if you have not 'woken up' your forest by harvesting your moths and checking in recently.
- Observations from the community revealed that Special Visitors don't seem to show up in forests which already contain every event moth. This probably means that only event moths which aren't unlocked in the Flutterpedia, will come around as Special Visitors.
- It is not possible to use the egg layer ability on Special Visitors. That means that, if you want to keep the visiting moth, you must pay the given amount of Glowbucks.
- Special Visitors seem to be too shy to show themselves during Events.
- Unfortunately, even if their requirements fit, visiting moths are unable to do missions.
- Special Visitors will revisit your forest some time in the future if you don't purchase them the first time they show up.
- On weekends, an Event known as a Moth Mania may occur, during which a Special Visitor will appear every 60 minutes.
- Special event "Half Price Egg Laying" does affect the cost of Special Visitors' eggs.